Pages

Friday, February 2, 2018

Mother May I Talk?

We don't talk about The King much. We mention him in passing, and he had one post completely about him, when an older lady called my sweet boy names. But mostly, The King has stayed to the background, his brothers and their troubles taking the forefront.

Today, I find myself wanting to talk about him, so let's.

Look at him. Isn't he the sweetest?
The King turned two in November. He's a bundle of energy, an explorer in a brand-new land. Every day is a new adventure, a new lesson in how the world works. He loves to point out all the new things he finds, and listen to the explanation of what they are. His world is expanding and he is loving every minute of it.

Now comes the point in the post where I'm a sobbing wreck on my couch as I type it. I shouldn't be, because we of all families know this isn't the end of the world. But it never ceases to hurt.

The King is 26 months old, nearly 27 months old. At this point, the months do still make a difference in development. At his age, The King should have 2-3 word sentences, with new words coming each month.

Let me preface this with, I'm his mom. I can understand what his points, his grunts, and his babbling means. Those don't count as words, even if I can tell you what they mean. His speech should be 50-70% intelligible to strangers.

It's not.

Strangers in the store, the doctor, the teachers at his brothers' school, his own family outside of this household...they can't understand most of what he says, with the exception of a few words.

The King can say Mama, Dada, Bruffer, Bubba, BearBear, cup, up, no, more, ow, and maybe ten other words that can be understood.

This ends the list of words The King can say with clarity and understanding.

There's a difference between receptive and expressive language.

There is nothing wrong with his receptive language. This is the part of language that he hears and understands. He knows when he's told no, put that back, etc. He can understand commands and reprimands. He can follow those commands given, and reacts appropriately to reprimands. He is struggling with a few things, but he's still little enough and catching onto other things fast enough that I'm not currently too concerned with his inability to point to his tummy, for example, when asked where it is.

The King has an expressive language delay. Expressive language is exactly what it sounds like: it's the words he can say, his ability to use them correctly, his ability to communicate his wants and needs.

He is very good at pointing. He rocks at bringing you things to show you and has the most adorable inquisitive face in the world. (Shameless Mom brag.)

But he can't tell you what he wants for lunch. He can't tell you he wants a certain book, or toy, or snuggles. He can't even tell you with words that he wants a hug.

His unspoken communication, as noted, is fantastic. He's found ways around what he can't say yet. And he will get there, with time and help. Most children with expressive language delays do. Kyle did, even though he does still struggle (although that is related to his other issues).

I know that.

But that doesn't mean I don't see and hear all these kids his age talking away, and feel my heart break because he can't yet.

He'll get there.

And when that day comes, I'll cry happy tears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment