Pages

Friday, March 4, 2016

A Rant on Cures

So, it's been a while. A long while. And I promise I will explain that.

Next posting.

This posting, I'm going to take a second and just...rant. I'm going to rant because the subject I'm going to rant about really, really, REALLY bothers me.

BLEACH ENEMAS TO CURE AUTISM.

Okay, first of all, I am NOT a supporter of autism as a disease. I do not view it as a disease- you cannot catch autism, you cannot spread autism if you are autistic, you cannot surgically fix or remove autism, etc. It does not fit the parameters of a disease. Autism is a DISORDER. A neurological DISORDER, not a DISEASE. As such, I don't believe it can be cured. I believe each autistic individual should be given all the tools they can possibly receive to lead the fullest, most successful they as individuals are capable of. I believe that no autistic person should be told they can't be independent or succeed at their own goals in their own time simply because of autism. (Naturally, there are autistic individuals who cannot live independently, but I believe that independence should be encouraged to each individual's specific abilities.)

Those tools, however, should NOT include cleaning agents as enemas! In what world does that make sense!?

"Bleach? You mean, like the stuff I use to clean my floors and make my whites whiter? Insert it into my child's body to cure them of a neurological disorder? That sounds like a GREAT idea! Here, take my money!"

The hell, guys????? Come on! I understand, I do, I really truly do, that there are parents out there whose children are non-verbal, who cannot self-care, who are aggressive, who encapsulate the worst traits of autism as seen in the media and described by books and articles- and I get that these parents are desperate to help their children. My  heart hurts for them, because Kai WAS that kid. He's STILL that kid in many ways.

But seriously, how on EARTH does inserting a cleaning agent into your child's body get even momentary consideration!?

There are so many other ways to help. There are controversial things, like ABA. There are proven therapies, like music therapy, occupational therapy, even art therapy. There are medications for those who are open to them that can help with the aggression. There are other forms of communication you can (admittedly pain-stakingly) help your child learn to use besides their voice! (As special as that is; as mom to a formerly non-verbal child, I totally get that!)

Please, people, PLEASE, for the love of whatever you hold to be holy, STOP INSERTING CLEANING AGENTS INTO YOUR CHILD'S BODY IN HOPES OF CURING THEM!

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment