Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I Saw You

I saw you today. I saw how flustered you were, how embarrassed you were.

Your precious little girl was screaming at the top of her lungs because she didn't understand that you had to pay for her toy before she could have it. She grabbed hold of the older woman behind her and tried to drag the woman towards the exit. Your eyes widened and you gave a horrified gasp as you raced after your daughter, apologizing to the woman as you gathered your child in your arms.

Another woman started in on that horrible rant. "Oh, give her to me! A day at my house and she'll never act like that again!"

"She's speech delayed," I heard you say. "She doesn't understand. She's in therapy. She's trying."

But the comments kept coming.

And I saw your exhaustion. I saw how tired you were, how worn down by this life. You needed a friend, a hug, and how I wish I could have provided that for you! But I was weighed down with my three children, our purchases, and their hyperactivity, because my son's birthday was today and they were hyper and excited. And I didn't say anything, and how I wish I had.

If I could go back half an hour to that store, I wouldn't let you leave without telling you. My oldest didn't talk until he was three. I still have days like the one you're having. My kids don't always get it either. And you're doing just fine. It's okay. Kids aren't meant to be perfect, anyways. No one is.

But mostly, I would like you to know I saw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment