Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

War to win

Insurance.

Every special needs parent's nightmare: the paperwork, the phone calls, the "do you accept it or don't you?" conversations, the co-pays if you have them, etc.

I have been dealing with insurance since eight o'clock this morning.

Specifically, the fact that Kai suddenly doesn't HAVE insurance.

Why, you ask?

Well, here's the jumbled explanation I got:

DCF, who covers the Medicaid system in our area, claims that Kai is supposed to be covered under Social Security.

Social Security, who of course handles Kai's SSI, claims that Kai is supposed to be covered under state Medicaid because he is not on SSDI.

DCF responds with "Well, our records indicate that he is on SSDI."

Kai is not and has never been on SSDI. Someone somewhere screwed up and now my kid is left without insurance until whoever that was gets it together. And you can bet I'm not going to rest until it's fixed.

In the meantime, my son can now not get his medications. So, his albuterol for his nebulizer for when he can't breathe? Gone. His DDAVP for his blood disorder? Gone. His therapy? Nope. Surgery? Nope. New braces or alternatives? Nope. Shots? Nope. Nothing.

So, Mom made a few phone calls. And now I have several people involved in this, including a lawyer willing to take them to court if we need to to get this fixed. I've been fighting since JULY to get this fixed. They gave him insurance for a month. A month. And now, when he's almost out of life-saving medications and is supposed to be having an appointment to set up a badly needed surgery, they yank it from him. Hmmm...nope, don't think so.

'Scuse me folks, looks like I've got a war to win. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment