Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day for the single mom

Many mothers receive breakfast in bed, flowers, gifts, etc. on Mother's Day from their children or family members. About two weeks ago or so, I received a necklace and a card from my mom as an early Mother's Day gift (she'd sent it up from FL, but I didn't realize what it was-oops!). My Kai made me a flower for my window in his special ed head start. Other than that, I really don't get anything for Mother's Day.

It's 3 in the afternoon where I am, and here's our day thus far:

We woke up this morning (or, okay, Taryn and I woke up-I have no idea when Kai woke up. He was in his room playing with his LeapPad) around 9. We ate cereal for breakfast, like we do every morning. Taryn had dry cereal. Mom had Raisin Bran. Kai had Cheerios with milk and a tablespoon of French Vanilla coffee cream, like he does every morning, in his green bowl with his black spoon, like he does every morning.

Kai took a short nap (not entirely normal for him, but given that I'm not sure when he woke up, not entirely unusual either) around 12. Taryn went down for his nap not long after.

I made macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for lunch, like I do every Sunday. I put them on the green plate for Kai, and he used another of his black spoons, like he does every day.

Kai had a minor meltdown over the art supplies. Not unusual. He spent 45 minutes freaking out over three crayons and two coloring books.

Kai's run through my house to make sure it's secure, and had a minor freak out over the fact that Mom wants all the doors and windows open today, because it's beautiful, if a wee bit nippy, outside.

We've made art projects. We put the dishes away. We cleaned the kitchen. We went next door and played with his "cousins" (no true relation, just very good friends with their mom and they've decided I'm their aunt and their mother is my kids' aunt). We came home.

It's 3 in the afternoon. And my mother's day is just like every other Sunday of the year.

And it rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment