Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Murphy's Law

Today.
Today was just...
Okay, you know that whole "If it can go wrong, it will" saying?
Ya, that about covers our day.
So, first off, every Thursday at 10 a.m., we have early childhood special education (ECSE) for Kai-the teacher comes to our house and works with him for an hour or so. Today, the teacher called me-she has the flu and couldn't come. Kai's routine was thrown off, and he flipped out.
Then, I realized I needed to go to Wal Mart on the other side of town. Well, my car doesn't run, so the only way to get there, given that we don't have many people around us, was to walk our merry selves there. So we did. And Kai flipped out because of all the noise and other sensory input. Massive failure.
We get home, and Kai wants to play outside. Okay, fine. Go for it. He gets on our neighbor's bike, and one of our neighbor's kids starts pushing him on it (Kai can't pedal/steer on his own). The poor boy didn't realize this, let go of the bike, Kai didn't turn or peddle, ran directly into a parked car at the end of the sidewalk, and toppled over, bike and all, to the ground. He hit his knee (JUST his knee, no other part of his leg, mind you), and now his ENTIRE LEG, from the knee on down, is swollen to twice its usual size.
THEN, he has a mild allergic reaction to the grass (note to self: REMEMBER BENADRYL).
So, I take him inside for a bath, story, and bedtime. Get him all settled down, and I decide "Fantastic, Taryn went to sleep half an hour ago, Kai's out cold, I'm going to go sit on the porch and talk to the neighbors and have some adult time."
Ya, Kai woke up from a nightmare, came running back outside after two hours of sleep, and flung himself into my lap. He fought, argued, and cried against going to sleep. He'd had a horrible nightmare in which his dad was coming to get him, he couldn't find his mom, and he was afraid Daddy had hurt me. (Although I refuse to go into it right now, this should give you some insight into the wonder that is my children's father.)
It's 12:33 a.m. He's laying on his cot in our living room, because he REFUSED, and I mean freaking screamed bloody murder REFUSED, to set foot in his room. Thomas the Train is on the TV. All the doors and windows are locked, with a ton of stuff crammed in front of the backdoor near the cot, and all the lights are off. He's finally asleep.
Tonight is one of those nights when I thank God for the invention of aspirin and Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment